Thursday, March 29, 2018

ExoSym - Emotional Day

Today was an emotional and sobering day for me. This week, I've met people who have come to this clinic, like me, with the hope and the promise that we can lead better, more mobile lives. I've seen families, elderly people, veterans, sports enthusiasts, and just the average joe.

Today though felt like I had come full circle in life. I started life alone, and in surgery to correct my Clubbed Feet. My parents went through a lot of expense and effort to get me to walk as normally as possible. I've thought a lot about that this week. I remember Mom and I going to every long ass appointment to see Dr. Dingley, and how cold and antiseptic he was. I remember how mean I thought he was to tell me I would be in a wheel chair and not able to walk by the time I was the age I am now. I remember going to a specialist in Miami, who backed up what Dr. Dingley had told us, that removing and fusing bone in my right foot was my only hope.

I thought about the pain and stiffness my feet have been in almost everyday of my life. I thought about how Mark encouraged me to take this chance, even thought I could hear my Dad's voice telling me, "That's a lot of money to be spending on something that might not work." Most of all during my workout, I thought about how my Mom would have been with me today, if she was still with us, encouraging me to walk the balance beam course I did today. She would probably be taking photos of this experience(not that she would share them, just to keep).

I felt alone today. I felt like that scared kid who had to be the center of a doctors consultation as the mean Dr. Dingley used me like a PowerPoint presentation to explain how what he wanted to do to me was a revolution. I wanted my mom with me.

Yes, it's silly that a 55 year old man would want his Mom with him, but she was always with me on these things. I started this journey alone, and today it felt I was going it alone.

Don't get me wrong, Mark is very supportive, and he did want to be here. We just couldn't leave the dogs at the kennel a week. I appreciate his support in this, and he knows everything I've done.

I sat in the clinic at the end of my session today, tearing up, as I wished I could have shared this with my Mom.

Tomorrow is my last day here, and then I head home to Mark and the dogs. I will continue working on getting stronger and getting better with this device.

Charlie

No comments: