Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A Simple Run

As much as I love running, I think we tend to make it more complicated than it really is. Everyday I see folks running with a GPS/Phone/iPod/gizmo, all in an attempt to mark what they do, or listen to music, or to distract them on their run. Running actually doesn't need all that.

I go back to the basics or running - right foot, left foot, repeat. Really that is all there is.

Now before the techno geeks jump all over me, I want to be clear I appreciate and use all the gizmos. I think they have a place in our running. I just don't think we need them to perform the simple act of running. You need shoes and a desire to get out there and run.

This morning I headed out for a run. I did 2 miles. It was a pretty simple run. I left the technology at home, and just headed out. The music is nice, but in my training for Hood to Coast, I found I loved the running without music. No music, no distractions. I could concentrate on my stride, my breathing, my running. It also made me aware of what was going on around me.

Today I was watch free, and I found I enjoyed my run more. I've written on this before, but I will say it again; I run much better with no watch or GPS on me. When I have those on I worry about pace, when really I should not be worrying about anything.By now I know my neighborhood, so I know what is 2 miles, so I just did it.

I hadn't run in over a week, and it felt great. Just a nice simple run.

Charlie

No comments: