One of the things I find interesting about working with the running public are the runners who want something different, because they want to something different. Over the years I've heard comments like this:
"I'm tired of blue shoes, do you have something different?'
"I can't be seen in the race in the same kind of shoes I wore last year."
"I hear Asics is the best shoe, so I have to wear it."
"My friend told me I need to run barefoot, so I will try it, because it worked for him."
Now, I'm not going to say you need to never try anything different. I think people should, but I think they need to look at the larger picture. Why do they really want a different shoe? Are their current shoes not working? Has something changed in their running? Did the company stop making their shoes(I'm talking to you Supernova Classic people)?
I'm not a fan of the vain reasons to change shoes. To be honest, no one, and I mean NO ONE, will know you wore the Brooks Adrenaline last year, nor will they care if you wear it this year. Don't get me started on the color issue. There is no ONE brand that is the best shoe.
When I work with runners, I am happy to help them figure which shoe works best. I bring out three shoes, one of them being the shoes they have had. 9 times out of 10 they stick with the shoes they've had. Why? Because those are the shoes that actually work for them.
Now am I being harsh in my criticism? Maybe, and I admit it. I'm a function over fashion runner and will always be. I feel if I let someone out of a store without trying to help their running, somehow I have failed that runner. Sure enough, the pink shoe will be wrong, they will ache, and I will get the blame, because I sold it to them. Most times if I can educate the runner on what they should be looking for, that something different turns into their regular shoe, and they are happy runners.
Again, I have no problem with folks trying something different, I just want it to be for reason which will help their running.
Charlie
No comments:
Post a Comment