"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
- John Bingham
A long time ago someone told me, "Running, quite simply is left foot, right foot, repeat." Yes it is. For some though, there is a certain amount of intimidation to start running. I hear this every day from new runners. They will tell me, "I'm only running a couple miles a week," or, "I'm not doing a marathon of anything." Something inside them has made running much more than what it is.
Do I feel courageous for starting running? No. It was a big step for me, but at the same time it seemed like something I always should have been doing. It felt natural to me. What took courage was pushing myself.
The first time I ran, I could not even run two blocks in a row. Time and time again though I made the effort to run those two blocks. Was that courage? In a sense. Knowing me, it would have been easy to just tell myself that walking was just fine, and I should settle for that. I learned though when it comes to my running, I don't settle. I summon what's inside of me to go further.
Am I always successful? No. Am I disappointed if I haven't run as far or as well as I wanted that day? Yes. Where I am successful is that I keep trying. I keep pushing.
Today I had hoped to run 5-6 miles. A combination of heat and my stomach not liking breakfast got me to 3.61 miles. Mark tells me the important thing is I went out and ran.
In the past, I have had those moments when I needed to push myself to do what I needed to do: Portland, Phoenix, South Bend, and even that very first 5K those many years ago. That is where I had the courage to push. When my body ached to the point I thought I couldn't take it. I pushed. When I wanted to quit, but knowing if I did I would never forgive myself, I pushed. On the days we need it, that courage is there, and it pushes us forward.
Charlie
1 comment:
some days, it's simply good enough to drop whatever plans you had, and just run what feels right that day. Your mileage will always be more than those who stay on the couch!!!
Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment